Write and produce content for the largest green film festival in the world.
The Environmental Film Festival in the Nation’s Capital (EFF) is the world’s largest showcase of environmental films. We are in search of a Festival Guide Editor to be part of a creative, dedicated team that works together to produce this major annual cultural event each March, plus a year-round schedule of programs and educational events for the Washington, DC metro area.
The Festival Guide Editor is responsible for overseeing and executing the writing and production process of the printed festival guide, working across departments to ensure film and event information is clear, well-written, and accurate. The Guide is a 28-page 4-color insert into the Washington Post Express.
The Festival Guide Editor works with the Programming Team on schedule, film and venue information, as well as securing photographic and other assets. The Editor will coordinate all guide material and information with the Director of Digital Media who will build the festival’s website, online schedule and ticketing pages.
This is a contract position which requires full-time commitment for the term. The position starts Monday, December 18-22, with hiatus for the holidays, returning Tuesday, January 2 – Friday, February 16, 2018.
Primary Role And Responsibilities:
Work in collaboration with the Programming Team and Digitial Media:
- Work in close coordination with Washington Post Express account team, including layout and design shop to plan and produce the 2018 EFF Festival Guide
- Research, develop, prepare and submit all copy, including film descriptions for the printed festival guide and website
- Collect and secure assets (including film synopses, filmmaker and special guest bios, film stills, ticketing and registration details, external links, etc.)
- Edit and organize content to share with festival staff and collaborate on production
- Manage and update information in a timely fashion, as programming details change
- Monitor progress on festival guide production and work with staff, as well as key partners to meet editorial standards and production deadlines
- Proofread and copyedit all materials, prior to publication and distribution
- Provide all written and photographic assets to Digital Media for creation of Festival schedule and film pages on website
- Work with Development team and Washington Post design staff for mailing indicia and secure mailing addresses
- Bachelors degree in journalism, film, communications, marketing or related field
- Minimum 3 years experience in editing/layout
- Excellent writing, meticulous editing and proofing skills
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to work independently and on deadline
- Good editorial instincts and design skills
The Environmental Film Festival in the Nation’s Capital
The Environmental Film Festival in the Nation’s Capital (EFF) is the world’s premier showcase of environmentally themed films. Since 1993 our mission has been to celebrate Earth and inspire understanding and stewardship of the environment through the power of film. Each March in Washington DC, we present 100+ films to audiences of more than 30,000. Filmmaker and topical discussions are an important part of our events which happen at more than 30 venues across the city including museums, embassies, libraries, universities and theaters . We also present a year-round screening series, educational programs and community events. Many of our screenings are free, and our Washington, DC location offers the unique opportunity for films and filmmakers to reach national and international lawmakers and decision-makers. Our impact continues to grow both in DC and beyond.
EFF provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements EFF complies with applicable District laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.